Monthly Luncheon - Canada 150
Name: Monthly Luncheon - Canada 150
Date: March 8, 2017
Time: 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM PST
Registration: Register Now
Nanaimo’s Canada 150 Legacy Project and Events Funding Announced
The Canada 150 theme is Strong. Proud. Free and our citizens will have the opportunity to Celebrate together to connect to our past, embrace the present, and build toward the future.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2017 - On Monday February 6, Nanaimo Canada 150 Committee Co-chairs, Diana Johnstone and Wally Wells, solidified an additional $75,000 from the City of Nanaimo ensuring that a total of $105,000 contributed by the City will go towards Canada 150 legacy projects and events in Nanaimo. The Committee has also secured a $2000 sponsorship funding from The Nanaimo Airport, $2000 from Coastal Community Credit Union as well as $18,750 from the Tourism Nanaimo Fund in 2016.
The Nanaimo Canada 150 website is now available for various community partners to get information about how to be a part of the celebration as a sponsor or to submit their events to be a part of the official Canada 150 Calendar of Events. These events will be showcased in various promotional materials leading up to July 1st and available on the website throughout the entire year. More information can be found at www.nanaimo150.com/
Diana Johnstone states, “With great support from the Nanaimo volunteer Canada 150 Committee, we will continue to fund raise and meet with various businesses to ensure that we may provide a great legacy for the Nanaimo community.”
Nanaimo’s volunteer Canada 150 Committee has been hard at work since 2015 implementing various initiatives and projects to ensure Nanaimo is included in the Canada 150 activities held nation-wide. On July 1, 2017, The City of Nanaimo will host its annual Community Event at Maffeo Sutton Park as it does every Canada Day. However, this year there will be very special additions to the event throughout the day implemented by the Nanaimo Canada 150 Committee. This includes:
- Fireworks Celebrations at the Nanaimo Harbour
- Vignettes of Musical Review Legacy Performance “Blackstones & Bathtubs: A Musical Revue of the Town You Never Knew” at Maffeo Sutton Park
- Search and Rescue demonstration involving our local marine team along with staff and fly overs from CFB Comox at Maffeo Sutton Park
- Storing Telling by new Canadian citizens at Maffeo Sutton Park
- Canadian Letter Exhibit: Nanaimo Museum & VIU
- Canada 150 Choir: 150 Voices featuring iconic Canadian Songs
- Multiple Canada 150 themed activities displays and performances
- H.M.C.S Nanaimo of the Royal Canadian Navy
- Information about outreach programs in schools
We encourage all our citizens to be part of the Celebration of our country's 150th Anniversary of Confederation. This is going to be a party you will not want to miss!
Please contact 250-754-8141 or visit www.nanaimo150.com/ at your earliest convenience and discover how you can be part of this historic celebration.